Who are we looking for?
To be eligible for the Graduate Program you need to:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- be completing your first degree qualification in the current year or have completed it in the preceding calendar year ; and
As part of the department's Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity Plan, the Graduate Program is a Youth and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander targeted employment initiative. For that reason, graduates 25 years of age or younger and/or of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent are strongly encouraged to apply.
What are we looking for in an application?
You will be required to provide the following:
- A copy of your academic record and evidence of your relevant degree being completed in the current year or the preceding calendar year.
- Your CV including the names and contact details of two referees.
- A cover letter which outlines why you are interested in working at the department and how it fits with your career aspirations.
- A description (maximum of one page) of your role in a project (university assignment is ok) that you have undertaken or participated in that demonstrates your research and communication skills, including the role you undertook.
DO NOT apply for a position if you do not have the relevant degree for the position being advertised. To find out which positions might suit your background, contact Alyce De Biasi on (08) 9222 3866.
How do I get the 'wow factor' into my application?
Your suitability for interview will be assessed from the information provided in your written application. To be considered for a position, you must provide everything that is requested above.
The graduate positions are very competitive. To really impress the panel and be shortlisted, you need to show us that you understand what we do as a department, and that you understand the business area/s where the position is located. You can then link this to your degree and any other relevant experience that you have (previous employment, volunteer work, and interests) to tell us what it is about the position that really interests you, and how it fits with your career aspirations.
To get a good understanding of the position, the department and business area, check out our website and/or call the contact person on the job advert.
When are applications open?
Applications for our Graduate Program are open throughout the month of August. The selection process is normally finalised by October or November for an intake in January.
If you would like to receive an email notification when applications open for the year, please contact Alyce De Biasi on email@example.com or (08) 9222 3866.
Late applications cannot be accepted so please ensure you submit all of your documentation before the application closing date and time.
How to apply
A variety of graduate positions are available across the three departments; each department is looking for people with different qualifications and runs its own recruitment process. Please ensure you are aware of the individual requirements for each position in order to put your best foot forward!
To apply for a position at the Department of Mines and Petroleum, please use the online application system available on our apply for a graduate position page.
To apply for a position at the Department of State Development, please visit their website.
To apply for a position at the Department of Regional Development, please visit the Jobs WA website.