Who are we looking for?
To be eligible for the Graduate Program you need to:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- be completing your first degree qualification in the current year or have completed it in the preceding calendar year.
As part of the Equity and Diversity Management Plan, the Graduate Program is a youth and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander targeted employment initiative.
For that reason, graduates 25 years of age or younger, and of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are strongly encouraged to apply.
What are we looking for in an application?
You will be required to provide the following:
- A copy of your academic record and evidence of your relevant degree being completed in the current year or the preceding calendar year.
- Your CV including the names and contact details of two referees.
- A cover letter which outlines why you are interested in working at the Department of Mines and Petroleum and how it fits with your career aspirations.
- A description (maximum of one page) of your role in a project (university assignment is ok) that you have undertaken or participated in that demonstrates your research and communication skills, including the role you undertook.
Your suitability for interview will be assessed from the information provided in your written application. To be considered for a position, you must provide everything that is requested above.
When are applications open?
Applications for our graduate program are open throughout the month of August. The selection process is normally finalised by October or November for an intake in January.
If you would like to receive an email notification when applications open for the year, please contact Lisa Symons (contact details to the right under "Contact Information").
Late applications can not be accepted so please ensure you submit all of your documentation before the application closing date and time.
How to apply
A variety of graduate positions are available across the three departments; each department is looking for people with different qualifications and runs its own recruitment process. Please ensure you are aware of the individual requirements for each position in order to put your best foot forward!
To apply for a position at the Department of Mines and Petroleum, please use the online application system available on our apply for a graduate position page.
To apply for a position at the Department of State Development, please visit their website.
To apply for a position at the Department of Regional Development and Lands, please visit the Jobs WA website.
Where we advertise
Advertising for graduate positions can be accessed on:
- The Department of Mines and Petroleum website
- The Department of State Development website
- The Department of Regional Development and Lands website
- Various university websites and career hubs
- The JobsWA website
- The Seek website
- The MyCareer website