Ellendale represents an opportunity for future extraction of the internationally acclaimed, high quality fancy yellow diamond.
Please note: Unauthorised access to the Ellendale site is prohibited and trespassers will be prosecuted. The site is locked and access is monitored.
Ellendale Diamond Mine is located approximately 100km northwest of Fitzroy Crossing and 120km east of Derby in the West Kimberley region of Western Australia.
Ellendale includes the E4 and E9 pits, waste rock landforms and tailings storage facilities. Mining commenced at the E9 pit in 2002 and at the E4 pit in 2006. Mining at the E4 pit was suspended and the area entered care and maintenance in 2009. Mining at the E9 pit continued until 2015.
The mining tenements were held by Kimberley Diamond Company NL (KDC). Mining activities ceased at Ellendale in July 2015, when KDC entered into administration. Later that month, creditors voted for the company to be placed into liquidation.
The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) has undertaken a range of activities within the Ellendale area to effectively manage all significant safety and environmental risks at the site. The focus on ensuring the resource value of the tenements is not diminished as DMIRS’s objective is to ensure that the site remains viable for future responsible resource development.
Since July 2015 DMIRS has been working to resolve issues related to Ellendale, including:
- Recovery of debts owed to the State by KDC (including royalties) and investigating and developing appropriate responses to the KDC insolvency.
- Undertaking inspections to assess the safety and environmental condition of the mine site.
- Co-ordinating the government agencies with responsibilities related to the site.
- Sourcing and retaining all valuable geological information.
- On-ground works required to keep the site safe, stable and non-polluting which commenced in December 2015.
It should be noted that the site will not be fully rehabilitated or closed through the Abandoned Mines program, as it remains a viable resource project.
DMIRS will release further status updates on Ellendale through the Environment eNewsletter.
Latest project updates
- Ellendale Information Sheet 1 – December 2015
- Ellendale Information Sheet 2 – April 2016
- Auction of Ellendale plant and equipment - June 2016
- Contractors invited to register interest in abandoned mine works - October 2016
Abandoned Mines Team
Phone: +61 8 9222 3402
Phone: +61 8 9222 6102
For more information view the Abandoned Mines Program and how the WA government is addressing risks associated with abandoned mine sites through management and rehabilitation.