Notifying appointment of a high voltage (HV) operator

For updated information relating to certificates of competency see Statutory positions

On 31 March 2022, the Work Health and Safety (WHS) laws replaced the health and safety elements of the Mines Safety and Inspection laws. For information visit

Transitional arrangements may be in place for the compliance requirements on this page.

All health and safety notifications, forms and guidance for mining and petroleum has moved to the WorkSafe website

The information below has been left for historical compliance reference purposes



Who can be appointed as a high voltage (HV) operator?

To be eligible for the appointment as high voltage (HV) operator, a person must:

  • for formal qualifications, satisfy one of the following:
    • hold an electrical worker’s licence endorsed as an electrician’s licence under r. 20 of the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991
    • be an experienced professionally qualified electrical engineer as described in r. 19(n) of the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991
    • be a person trained in electrical linework in accordance with r. 19(c) of the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991
    • hold a Class 2 Marine Engineer Certificate of Competency (equivalent to a Certificate III in Electrotechnology)


  • for formal training, satisfy all of the following:
    • have successful completed a nationally recognised training course for high voltage operators
    • demonstrated an understanding of the types of switchgear the HV operator will be authorised to switch (this would usually involve a formal written test)
    • have successfully performed the first ten switching operations under the supervision of an appointed high voltage operator.



Refer to r. 5.18 of the Mines Safety and Inspection Regulations 1995 for HV requirements.


Refer to Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 for details of the licensing regime.

Who is responsible for the notification?

To assist in efficient communication with the mines inspectorate, the registered manager may wish to advise the department of the appointment of an HV operator.

Notification of the appointment is not a regulatory requirement, however the Department would like to be advised through its Safety Regulation System (SRS).

A copy of the signed letter of appointment must be kept in the mine record book.

Notification of appointments must be submitted online using the Notifications sub-system in the Safety Regulation System (SRS)

The principal employer or registered manager can notify the department of a statutory appointment, or a person acting on their behalf.

A Company Administrator (CA) or a Company Representative can enter information into SRS. The CA can assign the role of Company Representative to any person required to notify appointments.

The completed and signed appointment letter needs to be attached to the notification of appointment in SRS.

Related information

Below is a related document that you may find useful.

Frequently asked questions on electrical appointments on Western Australian mines - information sheet - 663 Kb

This information sheet outlines the frequently asked questions on electrical appointments on Western Australian mines.


For SRS related enquiries, please contact the SRS Manager
Phone: 1300 307 877

To contact an inspector of mines
Phone: 1300 307 877