Keeping up to date with your dangerous goods licences

Shotfiring licences now can now be renewed online through SRS
Date: Monday, 13 June 2016

Western Australian shotfiring licences can now be applied for and renewed online, following the latest upgrade to the Department of Mines and Petroleum (DMP) Safety Regulation System (SRS).

The SRS system was introduced in early 2014 and allows DMP customers to apply for and renew Dangerous Goods and Explosives Drivers Licences and Shotfirer Licences easily and efficiently. Dangerous Goods Security Cards (DGSC) can also be renewed using SRS.

Dangerous Goods and Petroleum Safety Director Ross Stidolph said that dangerous goods licences ensured licence holders had received the relevant training to use dangerous goods in a safe manner.

"Similarly, the DGSC provides evidence that individuals who have unsupervised access to explosives or ammonium nitrate do not present a security threat," Mr Stidolph said.

"It is important that shotfirers, explosives drivers and people transporting ammonium nitrate renew their DGSC or licence using SRS before it expires.

"If individuals allow their DGSC to expire they will be required to apply for a new DGSC at Australia Post and pay the full new application fee.

"It may take several months for the new DGSC to be issued and during this time they are prohibited from using, or transporting explosives and ammonium nitrate."

Recent amendments to the explosives regulations mean that individuals working in WA are no longer required to apply for mutual recognition of interstate shotfiring, explosives driver and other explosives related occupational licences.

If an individual holds an interstate permit or licence with a security clearance that is recognised in Western Australia, they now have the same authorisation to work with explosives or ammonium nitrate without requiring a Western Australian DGSC for this activity.

The department has further information on licensing services available on its website.