The Geological Survey of Western Australia (GSWA) offers FREE training in its databases and online systems. The training is in the form of a presentation, with hands-on interaction in most systems.
- navigating the department’s website
- searching for geoscience publications
- finding digital datasets using the Data and Software Centre
- searching for open-file mineral exploration reports using WAMEX
- searching the mineral drillholes and geochemistry databases
- using the interactive map viewers, GeoVIEW.WA and TENGRAPH Web
- GeoMap.WA, a standalone GIS viewer for Windows.
A desktop computer will be available for each participant.
The Perth training has been divided into separate sessions: one for mining companies/geologists, and one for prospectors.
Dates for 2018
Thursday 8 March
Thursday 7 June
Thursday 8 November
Venue: No. 1 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth
Mining companies/geologists — morning
9.30–9.45 Welcome and web systems
10.45–11.00 Tea break
11.30–12.00 Questions and activities
Prospectors — afternoon
1.00–1.30 Welcome and web systems
2.30–2.45 Tea break
2.45–3.45 TENGRAPH Web
Instructions to participants for Perth training
To facilitate a swift sign-in and prompt start, please arrive 15 minutes before your session. Go in the front doors to 1 Adelaide Terrace, pass the reception area on the right, turn left at the ramp to the DMIRS reception area. Tell the receptionist you are there for DMIRS training and you will be taken to the training room.
The most convenient parking is in the City of Perth Car Parks, either next to the Tattersalls Bowling Club in Plain Street, or the Queen's Gardens Carpark (on the north side of the gardens). Please see the map for their location.
Please confirm attendance and advise which sessions you wish to attend. If you find that you cannot attend for any reason, please let us know with some notice so we can let someone on the waiting list fill your place.
The Kalgoorlie training is open to all.
Venue: 34 Cheetham Street, Kalgoorlie, central campus for the Goldfields Institute of Technology, Kalgoorlie
Dates for 2018
Friday 16 March
Friday 15 June
Friday 16 November
9.30–10.00 Welcome and web systems
11.00–11.15 Tea break
11.15-12.15 WAMEX and Mineral drillholes and geochemistry databases
12.15–1.00 Lunch break
1.00 – 1.45 TENGRAPH Web
2.30–3.00 Individual sessions — specific examples, queries and issues relating to Web Systems and applications covered in the training session.
Instructions to participants for Kalgoorlie training
Once you register, detailed information will be sent to you via email. See the Kalgoorlie location map and instructions to the right.
TENGRAPH Web training
Free training is now available for TENGRAPH Web. This will include hands-on interaction and live demonstrations of the software over three hours.
- Accessing TENGRAPH Web
- Using the legend
- Symbolizing layers
- Using the drawing tools
- Printing maps
- And much more
Date: Wednesday 13 June 2018
Times: 9 am - 12 noon; 1-4 pm
Venue: Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Location: No. 1 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth
Registrations are restricted due to the number of computers available. Please register your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download these manuals and work through useful examples
TENGRAPH Web Demonstration Videos
These training / demonstration videos provide an overview of the features and how to use TENGRAPH Web.
Follow the links provided below:
- General overview of the TENGRAPH Web Silverlight version (Video link) (Transcript)
- The TENGRAPH tools you are most likely to use (like searching for a mining tenement) are found in the "I want to…” menu. (Video link) (Transcript)
- This video demonstrates how to turn on/off TENGRAPH map layers, legend and tenement themes. (Video link) (Transcript)
- How to plot points and polygons using map coordinates or snapping to existing tenement corners. (Video link) (Transcript)
- This video demonstrates the Google Earth link, Print Object details, Tenement History and other tools available from the Results drop-down menu. (Video link) (Transcript)
Several training videos are provided below:
WA Geology – Introduction video
GeoMap.WA - Adding map layers video
GeoMap.WA - Changing symbology video
GeoMap.WA - GPS tracking video
GeoMap.WA - Searching by area video
GeoMap.WA - Searching by text video
Download these manuals and work through useful examples: