WA Petroleum Day 2018 hosted by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety, will be held at the Hyatt Regency Perth on Friday 14 September 2018, immediately following the GoodOil Conference.
As Western Australia’s regulator for the resources sector, the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) holds an annual Petroleum Open Day to update industry on the latest news around policy, legislation and trends.
This year DMIRS is taking a broader look at the sector with the involvement of the Commonwealth regulators, NOPTA, NOPSEMA and the Federal Department of Industry, Innovation and Science (DIIS). The event will be called WA Petroleum Day to reflect this expanded view.
Held at the Hyatt Regency Perth on Friday 14 September 2018, the one-day program will focus on national and state policy and regulatory directions, international safety trends and financial assurance, concluding with a special guest panel session to discuss the role of gas in WA’s future energy mix.
There will also be plenary technical sessions hosted by Geological Survey of WA and an extensive technical poster exhibition with displays from DMIRS, DIIS, NOPSEMA, NOPTA, PAWSEY, the Australian Marine Complex, National Energy Resources Australia and PESA.
The WA Petroleum Day program*
Registration – 8.30 – 9.00am
Session 1 – 9.00 – 10.00am
- Welcome and opening remarks
- Ensuring a sustainable resources sector for WA - David Smith, Director General, DMIRS
- Pulse check on the WA petroleum industry - Jeff Haworth, Executive Director, Geoscience and Resource Strategy, DMIRS
Morning tea – 10.00 – 10.45am
Session 2 – 10.45 – 12.00noon
- Commonwealth policy update Department of Industry, Innovation and Science (DIIS)
- Review of policy and regulation in WA - Karen Caple, Acting Executive Director, Resource and Environmental Compliance, DMIRS
- International regulation trends - Stuart Smith, Chief Executive Officer, NOPSEMA
Lunch 12.00 – 1.30pm
Session 3 – 1.30 – 2.30pm Concurrent Sessions
- Financial assurance and a holistic approach to decommissioning - DMIRS
- Geoscience Australia’s petroleum program - Tom Bernecker, Geoscience Australia
- Geological Survey of Western Australia’s basin studies program - DMIRS
- Kidson seismic survey results
- Canning and Carnarvon basins SEEBASE
- South West Hub Carbon Capture Project - Dominique Van Gent, Coordinator Carbon Strategy, DMIRS
- Gorgon CO2 Injection Project - Sunil Varma, Principal Petroleum Technologist, DMIRS
Afternoon tea - 2.30 – 3.00pm
Session 4 – 3.00 – 4.30pm
- Creating an interconnected gas gathering system for Western Australia - Nigel Hearne, Managing Director, Chevron Australia
- Panel discussion – The role of gas in Western Australia’s future energy mix
- Facilitated by Ted Surette, Industry Leader, Energy and Natural Resources, KPMG Australia
- Closing remarks - Jeff Haworth, Executive Director, Geoscience and Resource Strategy, DMIRS
Sundowner – 4.30 – 5.30pm
*Please note, speakers and topics may change at the discretion of the event organiser.
Tickets for WA Petroleum Day are $110 and can be purchased online.
If you have any questions regarding WA Petroleum Day 2018 or would like to submit a question for the panel session before Thursday 6 September 2018, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Presentations and posters from Petroleum Open Day 2017 are available on our website.