Applying for approval as a noise officer

On 31 March 2022, the Work Health and Safety (WHS) laws replaced the health and safety elements of the Mines Safety and Inspection laws. For information visit

For updated information relating to certificates of competency see Statutory positions

Transitional arrangements may be in place for the compliance requirements on this page.

All health and safety notifications, forms and guidance for mining and petroleum has moved to the WorkSafe website

The information below has been left for historical compliance reference purposes



Approval as a noise officer - application form - 1508 Kb

This application form is required in order to have approval as a noise officer.

Who can be approved as a noise officer?

To be recognised as a noise officer, the applicant must have successfully completed an approved noise officer course, which allows them to carry out noise assessments to Australian Standard AS/NZS 1269.1 Occupational noise management - Measurement and assessment of noise immission and exposure.

There are two training organisations approved by the State Mining Engineer to provide noise officer courses in Western Australia:

  • Noise and Vibration Measurement Systems (NVMS)
  • Precision Acoustics.

Australian Standards are available from Standards Australia.

Required information

The completed and signed application form must be lodged with a copy of the completion certificate for the noise officer course.

Lodging the application

The completed and signed application and supporting documentation can be emailed to

Or mailed to:

Resources Safety
The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Mineral House 100 Plain Street 
East Perth WA 6004

Or lodged in person at Resources Safety, 1 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth WA.


Health and hygiene sampling including atmospheric, noise and biological monitoring.

Phone: (08) 9358 8001 (select option 2 - you can make your selection at anytime)