Applying for an explosives manufacture licence

Application for an explosives manufacture licence - 371 Kb

This form is required to apply for an explosives manufacture licence.

When is this licence required?

Any person who manufactures an explosive must hold an explosives manufacture licence.

The manufacturing must be undertaken at a fixed plant with access to associated storage facilities if required.

The explosives manufacture licence is issued for five years.

Who can apply?

Licences can be granted to an individual, body corporate or partnership.

Individuals must be at least 21 years of age.

For more information on proof of identity go to How do I prove my identity?

Use of an accredited consultant

To develop the submission, it is recommended that those intending to apply for a licence engage a dangerous goods consultant accredited to prepare and submit security sensitive ammonium nitrate applications. The consultant will normally complete the application form on the applicant’s behalf, but the intended licensee must sign the application.

Applications submitted without accredited consultant endorsement may take up to three months to process and a checking fee applies. Deficient submissions will take longer to process.

Required supporting information

The application must be signed by the intended licensee and lodged with:

  • the supporting documentation, which can be the original or the original certified document (where a copy is requested this does not apply)
  • the explosives management plan.

Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of applications. Most applications are dealt with within approximately 30 business days.

For more information on explosive management plans see What is required for explosives licences?

Application fee

Only the licence fee for the first year of the licence is to be lodged with the application. Licence fees for subsequent years will be billed annually.

A checking fee applies for new applications without accredited consultant endorsement.

The checking fees are equal to the licence fee payable with the application.

Go to Schedule of fees and charges for more information on licence fees.

Lodging the application

The completed and signed application form must be accompanied by:

  • required information
  • the fee
    • this can be paid by credit card (details on application form)
    • by cheque made payable to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
    • cash payments can only be made when lodging in person.

Emailed to:

Mailed to:
Dangerous Goods Licensing
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Locked Bag 100
East Perth WA 6892

Lodged in person:
303 Sevenoaks Street (entrance via Grose Avenue)
Cannington WA 6107

Related information

Transporting dangerous goods in limited quantities

Reporting an incident

Explosives manufacture licence holders have a responsibility to report incidents and accidents arising from their activities.

Other guidance

Applicable legislation

Contact details

For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 6251 2300