Applying for an explosives import/export licence

Explosives import export licence - application form - 1043 Kb

This form or template is required to apply for an explosives import export licence.

When is this licence required?

An explosives import/export licence is required to:

  • import or export authorised explosives overseas to or from Western Australia
  • supply authorised explosives to others who are authorised to possess them.

The explosives import/export licence is issued for five years.

The import/export licence does not allow the holder to transport, use, store or manufacture explosives without additional explosives licences.

The import/export licence does not allow the holder to transport, use, store or manufacture explosives without additional explosives licences.

Test permits for unauthorised explosives

The qualities and characteristics of unauthorised explosives are typically unknown or poorly described. For this reason, a test permit is required for each and every consignment that is intended to be brought into Western Australia from overseas (or another State or Territory of Australia).

Some countries will not allow explosives to be exported to Western Australia unless the importer can provide evidence of a test permit to confirm that unloading of the consignment will be allowed.

Essentially, the test permit allows an explosive into Western Australia and is subject to strict conditions about where it can be tested, stored and used.

A test permit is not required for consignments of authorised explosives imported from overseas under an explosives import/export licence.

Overseas import or export notification

An import notice or export notice must be lodged with the department’s Chief Dangerous Goods Officer at least seven days in advance of any consignment of explosives coming from or going overseas.

Licence holders must maintain written records for a minimum of 2 years from the date of all consignments imported or exported.

Movement of explosives within Australia and overseas

Which situations require a licence or import/export notice?

Where is the explosive coming from or going to? Authorised explosives Unauthorised explosives

Requires an explosives import/export licence.

An import notice or export notice is to be lodged with the Chief Officer for every consignment, including a material safety data sheet (MSDS) for each explosive listed.

A test permit must be obtained from the Chief Officer prior to the import (no exceptions).

Export out of Australia is not permitted.

Between Western Australia and other States and Territories

An explosives import/export licence is not required for the movement of explosives in and out of WA, but other dangerous goods licences may apply. For example:

  • an interstate explosives transport licence
  • WA explosives transport licence
  • explosives driver licence
  • WA shotfiring licence
  • WA pyrotechnics (special use) licence
  • WA fireworks contractor licence.
A fireworks (interstate) import notice must be lodged by the holder of an explosives transport licence that transports fireworks into Western Australia.

A test permit must be obtained from the Chief Officer prior to the import or export. (no exceptions)


Consignment entry and exit points

Explosives imported and exported to and from Western Australia go through various ports or airports. Each location differs in respect to:

  • loading and unloading facilities
  • load limits on explosives based on safety distances
  • security arrangements
  • transit storage facilities
  • transport routes from the ports or airports.

The types and quantities of explosives being imported or exported may preclude the use of certain ports or airports. Hence, applicants may nominate more than one entry point on their application.

Importers and exporters of ammonium nitrate should liaise with the relevant port authorities to ensure the entry points they wish to use are approved to handle ammonium nitrate and the quantities.

The Department of Transport has information on the four port authorities in Western Australia that manage the State's major ports.

There are general criteria regarding the transportation of dangerous goods and explosives. These are addressed in What are the route restrictions for dangerous goods and explosives transport?

Who can apply?

Licences can be granted to an individual, body corporate or partnership.

Individuals must be at least 21 years of age.

For more information on proof of identity go to How do I prove my identity?

Use of an accredited consultant

To develop the submission, it is recommended that those intending to apply for a licence engage a dangerous goods consultant accredited to prepare and submit security risk substance applications. The consultant will normally complete the application form on the applicant’s behalf, but the intended licensee must sign the application.

Applications submitted without accredited consultant endorsement may take up to three months to process and a checking fee applies. Deficient submissions will take longer to process.

Required supporting information

The completed application must be signed by the intended licensee and lodged with the supporting documentation, which is the original or the original certified document (where a copy is requested this does not apply).

See What is required for explosives licences? for more information on security clearances.

Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of applications. Most applications are dealt with within approximately 30 business days.

Application fee

The licence fee for the first year of the licence is to be lodged with the application. Licence fees for subsequent years will be billed annually.

A checking fee:

  • does not apply if a consultant endorses the proposal as complying with the regulations
  • applies for applications without accredited consultant endorsement.

Checking fees are equal to the licence fee payable with the application.

For information regarding application and renewal fees please see Schedule of fees and charges.

Lodging the application

The completed and signed application form must be accompanied by:

  • required information
  • the fee
    • this can be paid by credit card (details on application form)
    • by cheque made payable to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
    • cash payments can only be made when lodging in person.

Emailed to:

Mailed to:
Dangerous Goods Licensing
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Locked Bag 100
East Perth WA 6892

Lodged in person:
303 Sevenoaks Street (entrance via Grose Avenue)
Cannington WA 6107

Related information

Notification of changes of details

The Chief Dangerous Goods Officer must be notified within 14 days of any material changes to the details on a licence or registration.

Reporting an incident

Licence holders are responsible for reporting accidents and incidents arising from their activities in Western Australia, including unexplained losses or theft.

Other guidance

Overview of explosives regulations - information sheet - 267 Kb

This document is for guidance only and the definitive statutory requirements are contained in the Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (the Explosives Regulations).

Dangerous Goods Safety (Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate) Regulations 2007 - information sheet - 265 Kb

This information sheet explains the main amendments in effect from 1 January 2014 under the Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (Explosives Regulations) and Dangerous Goods Safety (Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate) Regulations 2007.

AS 3846 The handling and transport of dangerous cargoes in port areas is available from Standards Australia.

International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes Code (IMSBC Code) is available from the International Maritime Organization. This replaces the Code of Safe Practice for Solid Bulk Cargoes (BC Code) 2004.

Applicable legislation


For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing
Phone: (08) 6251 2300