Applying for a fireworks event permit

Fireworks event permit - application form - 610 Kb

The use of fireworks by the general public is banned in Western Australia (WA), except for unrestricted fireworks such as bon-bons, party poppers, Christmas crackers, throwdowns and sparklers.

When is a permit required?

Fireworks event permits are required for:

  • a single fireworks event
  • a group of consecutive events at the same venue - where the intervening time is not greater than 48 hours.

Only a licensed fireworks operator or someone working in the presence of a licensed operator may actually set up and initiate fireworks at a fireworks event.

Ceremonial fireworks notice

 A fireworks event permit is not required to be lodged for a ceremonial fireworks event where only cracker chains are used in the event.

The ceremonial fireworks notice must be completed by a fireworks operator or pyrotechnic (special use) licence holder who are endorsed to use ceremonial cracker chains on their licence, and are the person using the ceremonial fireworks in the event.  The notice must be lodged with the WA Police and local government authority at least 7 days prior to the event.

The notice is not required to be lodged with the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS).

Ceremonial fireworks notice - 116 Kb

To be completed and lodged with WA Police and local government authority at least 7 days prior to the event.

Approvals process

Fireworks contractors need to be aware of the lead times required by the various agencies and authorities involved.

Completed fireworks event permit application forms must be received by Resources Safety no less than 14 days before the display date. Failure to do so may mean that a permit is not granted in time.


Site plans

Site plans need to show separation distances and exclusion zones. Exclusion zones must include a buffer to compensate for expected wind conditions.

The permit application form contains detailed information on the requirements to be met for a fireworks event.

Fireworks event notice

Before lodging an application for a fireworks event permit with Resources Safety, a fireworks contractor must lodge a fireworks event notice (which is supplied in the application form) with the:

  • WA Police
  • Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
  • local government authority
  • depending on the location of the event, Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

Where fireworks events are to be held on waterways and foreshore areas, on the beach or near the coast, on roofs of buildings or from barges, other agencies or organisations with overriding responsibility must be notified prior to the lodgement of the fireworks event permit application.

Permission from owner or occupier

The owner, the legal occupier or the person responsible for the property where fireworks event is to be conducted must give permission for the event before the application for a fireworks event permit is lodged.

Written confirmation must be obtained stating permission has been granted for the event to be conducted. This document must be retained by the fireworks contractor.

Fire and Emergency services requirement for outdoor fireworks display

Firework events occurring during restricted and prohibited burning times are subject to specific requirements.

Fireworks events are prohibited when the Minister for Emergency Services has declared a total fire ban for the area in which the event is to be held. However, an exemption may be granted in certain circumstances. The fireworks contractor must make a separate application to the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) for a notice of exemption.

Visit the Department of Fire and Emergency Services to apply for a notice of exemption.

Community notification

The fireworks contractor must ensure that vulnerable sites that may be affected are notified prior to the event.

Noise disturbance due to fireworks events must be properly managed and neighbours should be notified of the event as appropriate.

Firing from special locations

Additional information must be submitted for fireworks event permits involving firing from special locations, such as barges, pontoons and elevated locations.

Security considerations

Temporary storage and ‘sleeping’ of fireworks

Temporary storage of fireworks may be necessary when transport and set up of the display cannot occur within a day. Similarly, it is not always possible to set up large displays within one day and therefore loaded mortars will be left ‘sleeping’ overnight.

If temporary storage or the sleeping of fireworks is required, submit a supplement to the fireworks event permit application detailing the storage location and facility as well as the duration of the storage. Temporary storage must not exceed 48 hours without approval from the Chief Officer.

Separation distances for temporary storage facilities must be in accordance with Section 3.2.4 of AS 2187.1-1998.

A risk assessment must be conducted for a temporary storage to ensure the fireworks will be stored safely and securely.

Adequate protection is required to minimise the chances of theft. If the fireworks storage is not within a locked compound (e.g. locked modified freight container within securely fenced yard), or if loaded mortars are being slept, it will be necessary to guard the storage and any sleeping fireworks overnight.

Security requirements for the management of explosives - information sheet - 119 Kb

This information sheet summarises the applicable requirements and guidance for key issues in the security management of explosives under the Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (Explosives Regulations).

Storage of explosives - guidance note - 571 Kb

This guidance note assists in identifying the regulatory requirements for the storage of explosives in Western Australia.

Use of security guards

Security guards may be used for security purposes but they will:

require dangerous goods security clearance cards
need to be authorised by the fireworks contractor to have unsupervised access to the fireworks.

If more than one guard is present, then it is sufficient for only one member of the guard team to have a security card and be authorised for unsupervised access. However, this guard must maintain direct supervision of the other guard(s).

To allow for rest breaks, it is recommended that at least two guards per team are security cleared for unsupervised access. If it is not possible to obtain guards who satisfy the security requirements then a firework contractor employee with unsupervised access clearance must remain on site to guard the explosives.

Transport of fireworks

Fireworks must be transported in accordance with the Australian Explosives Code (AEC3).

The Australian Explosives Code (AEC3) is available from Safe Work Australia.

Fireworks contractors transporting fireworks to commercial transport companies must also comply with AEC3.

Explosives may be transported in:

  • appropriately labelled, sealed cardboard packages inside an enclosed vehicle body
  • a locked carry box that is securely fastened to the vehicle.

Where fireworks are transported in a lockable enclosed vehicle body, the sealed packages must be stowed such that they are incapable of movement in the vehicle, and must not be stowed in the passenger compartment.

Upon arrival at the commercial transport company site, the fireworks may be removed from the firework contractor’s vehicle or wooden box (retaining the original packaging) and repacked inside an appropriate vehicle or container owned by the transport company.

All explosives packaging must be marked in accordance with AEC3.

Who can apply?

Only a licensed fireworks contractor can apply for a fireworks event permit.

The applicant must hold a minimum public liability insurance policy of five million dollars (AUD5,000,000) to transport a placard load of dangerous goods.

Required information

Completed and signed application must be submitted with:

  • a site plan to scale
  • all signed fireworks event notices.

Application fee

The fee payable is dependent on the size and type of firework event.

A late fee applies for applications submitted within 2 weeks of the event.

Go to Schedule of fees and charges for more information on licence fees.

Lodging the application

The completed and signed application form must be accompanied by:

  • required information
  • the fee
    • this can be paid by credit card (details on application form)
    • by cheque made payable to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
    • cash payments can only be made when lodging in person.

Emailed to:

Mailed to:
Dangerous Goods Licensing
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Locked Bag 100
East Perth WA 6892

Lodged in person:
303 Sevenoaks Street (entrance via Grose Avenue)
Cannington WA 6107

Related information

Other guidance

The permit application form contains detailed information on meeting the requirements for a fireworks event.

Overview of explosives regulations - information sheet - 267 Kb

This document is for guidance only and the definitive statutory requirements are contained in the Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (the Explosives Regulations).

The following codes of practice cover matters associated with the management and operation of fireworks displays.

Code of practice - Safe use of outdoor fireworks in Western Australia - 2787 Kb

This code of practice covers the safe use of outdoor firework, including firework equipment, workshop operations and events.

Applicable legislation

Contact details

For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 6251 2300