The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) Geoscience and Resource Strategy Division (GRSD), formerly Geological Survey of Western Australia (GSWA), promotes mineral exploration investment by improving the geological understanding of Western Australia, providing geoscientific data to the exploration industry, improving exploration efficiency, and helping to reduce exploration risk.
GSWA provides geological advice to the mineral exploration industry on the following legislation:
- Mining Act 1978
- Offshore Minerals Act 1994
This legislation requires mineral explorers to annually report on their exploration activities and submit any data collected to the department. After a period of confidentiality, exploration reports and data are made publicly available so that past exploration work is not repeated unnecessarily. These reports are available in the Western Australian Mineral Exploration Index (WAMEX).
GSWA also gives geological advice on mining lease applications where applicants are proceeding under the Significant Mineralisation route (Sections 74 and 74A of the Mining Act 1978). These Mineralisation Reports are made publicly available online once approved by GSWA.
The Geoscience and Resource Strategy Division manages the Exploration Incentive Scheme (EIS), a multi-million dollar State Government initiative aimed at encouraging innovative exploration, particularly in greenfield areas of Western Australia.
The Centre for Exploration Targeting at The University of Western Australia and GSWA have developed add-in tools for the ESRI ArcGIS platform. The Integrated Exploration Platform (IEP) uses innovative interactive visualization and image-analysis methods to assist in the interpretation of geoscience datasets. The IEP project is funded by the Australian Research Council LP 140100267.
- Core library services and drillcore The department’s core libraries hold a wealth of petroleum and mineral drillcore and core-related information.
- Minerals geoscience GSWA studies mineral systems to define metallogenic models that improve prospectivity and predictive targeting for minerals in the state.
- Deep crustal seismic reflection, passive seismic and magnetotelluric (MT) surveys Seismic and MT surveys provide a key to the geological evolution of the Australian lithosphere during some 4 billion years of Earth history.
- HyLogger spectral scanner The HyLogger is a rapid spectroscopic logging and digital imaging system that uses visible and infrared spectroscopy to safely examine core.
- Mineral exploration reports (WAMEX) Mineral exploration reports and data submitted by mineral explorers are made publicly available after a period of confidentiality.
- Exploration Incentive Scheme (EIS) EIS supports exploration in Western Australia through precompetitive data and a co-funding program for innovative exploration drilling.
- Mineralisation reports and resource reports for mining lease applications Search for mineralisation reports in GSWA’s online catalogue or download guidelines for lodging your report.
- Mines and mineral deposits (MINEDEX) GSWA maintains a database of mines, mineral deposits and prospects, along with their operating status, production data, and much more.
- Land use planning Geological information to support exploration and development of resources and assist State, local government, planners, and the community.
- 3D geoscience Integration of geophysical, geological and geochemical data in 3D models aims to increase the knowledge of Western Australia’s subsurface.
- GSWA publications and maps The department’s eBookshop contains almost 5000 geological products including books, maps and data packages.
- Accelerated Geoscience Program New datasets will accelerate understanding of the State's geology and mineral prospectivity
- GSWA webinar series GSWA program of webinars is designed to support Western Australia’s explorers.
- GSWA strategic priorities Outlines GSWA’s long-term priorities to support the responsible use of the State’s resources
- Flashback book sale DMIRS is offering its premium publications backlist with massive discounts while stocks last
For further information contact: