The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) through the Geological Survey of Western Australia (GSWA) publishes a vast amount of pre-competitive geoscience information which contributes to the exploration and development of the State’s resources. This information is in the form of printed and digital maps, data packages, digital core atlases, 3D geoscience, digital layers, and publications including technical Records and Reports and marketing material.
The eBookshop delivers thousands of geoscience products including books, maps and data packages. Most of these products are available as a free download, which also include posters, marketing material and flyers. Maps, USB data packages, and selected premium publications are available to purchase as hard copies via the online cart on the eBookshop. Alternatively, these products can be purchased from the Information Centre, First Floor, Mineral House, 100 Plain Street, East Perth WA 6004, Phone: +61 8 9222 3459. Records, Reports, Bulletins and non-series books cannot be purchased in hard copy but are all available as free PDFs to view and download.
Geoscience products (in eBookshop)
GeoVIEW.WA is an online interactive mapping system which allows users to create and print their own maps, and search and explore mineral and petroleum exploration datasets. GeoVIEW.WA provides the most up-to-date geoscience and resource information delivered in a timely manner and at no cost. The system is device independent and allows users to visualise, interrogate and integrate different data types in an easy-to-use web application. In addition to standard GIS functions, GeoVIEW.WA features include a range of search tools for various DMIRS databases, data extraction, map production, and uploading of user’s local data.
Select ‘Search’, select ‘GSWA Catalogue’ and then select an area of interest to obtain a list of products relating to that area. Products are subdivided into statewide and regional. See also About GeoVIEW.WA.
Interactive geological map (GeoVIEW.WA)
Using Data and Software Centre
The Data and Software Centre is a facility that allows the download of spatial datasets relating to geology, mining and petroleum titles, geochemistry and other geoscience information. Spatial applications and training material are also available to download.
The Data and Software Centre provides maps and spatial datasets in various formats.
Access Data and Software Centre
Finding geophysical data
Current geophysical information and datasets can be found at Regional geophysical survey data.
Using the Library Catalogue
DMIRS offers a wider search facility using the Library Catalogue search for publications (published by DMIRS or others) on topics related to Western Australian geology, mining, petroleum and the environment.
PDF catalogues of products published before 2009
These product catalogues are no longer maintained because of our online search facility. However, some customers find them useful so they have been included here for reference.
Catalogue of geoscience products 1980–2009 lists all books, maps and digital packages published between 1980 and 2009. It includes:
- detailed index maps
- 1:2 500 000 to 1:50 000 series maps — geological, geochemical, geophysical, urban and environmental
- all other project maps at various scales published since 1970
- listings of all publications.
Catalogue of pre-1980 geological publications lists all books published between 1898 and 1979.
GSWA historical indexes
The following is a list of GSWA’s historical indexes:
- 1:1 000 000 geological maps
- 1:250 000 geological maps
- 1:100 000 geological maps
- 1:50 000 Northampton geological maps
- 1:50 000 environmental and urban geological maps
- Regolith geochemistry maps
- Non-series maps 2012 onwards
- Non-series maps 2005–2011
- Non-series maps 2000–05
- Non-series maps 1996–2000
- Non-series maps 1985–96
- Non-series maps 1987–94
- Non-series maps 1969–86
- Digital packages
- Mineral prospectivity packages
- 1:250 000 seismic structure maps
- Hydrogeological maps
- 1:10 000 000 Simplified Tectonic Map of WA
Other ways of accessing information
The GSWA eNewsletter is an online periodical newsletter that contains information on geophysical data releases, workshops, field trips, events, as well as latest releases of maps, books and digital data packages. If you would like to stay informed about new products, services and other news, please subscribe.
Fieldnotes is a free digital-only newsletter published quarterly. The newsletter provides regular updates to the State’s exploration industry and other geoscientists about the latest work, programs, products and services provided by GSWA. Fieldnotes is released as a link on the GSWA eNewsletter. Back issues of Fieldnotes are available in the eBookshop.
- Flashback book sale DMIRS is offering its premium publications backlist with massive discounts while stocks last
- GSWA style guides These style guides are relevant to both authors and editors for the preparation of manuscripts
- GSWA eNewsletter The GSWA eNewsletter contains information on geophysical data releases, workshops, field trips, events, and latest releases.
- Premium GSWA publications These premium publications highlight geological work in specific parts of Western Australia
For more information contact: