Applying for a test permit for an unauthorised explosive

When is a test permit required?

A test permit is required to import, test, manufacture, store, transport, supply or use an unauthorised explosive. The same applies to the use of fireworks.

In addition to any specific conditions imposed by the department’s Chief Dangerous Goods Officer, a test permit is subject to:

  • the test not being conducted without the written consent of the owner or occupier of the place where the test is to take place
  • the test permit holder ensuring the test is conducted in accordance with the information given in the application form
  • as soon as practicable after the test ends, the test permit holder providing the department’s Chief Dangerous Goods Officer with a written report about the test including
    • the results of the test (whether good or adverse)
    • the holder’s intentions about applying to have the explosive authorised.

To find out what is an explosive go to What explosives are authorised?

Who can apply?

Test permits can be granted to an individual, body corporate or partnership.

Required information

A test permit application must address the requirements of regulation 27 of the Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulation 2007.

The supporting documentation lodged with the test permit application:

  • can be the original or the original certified document (this does not apply where a copy is requested)
  • must be dated not more than six months before the date the application is received by the department.

Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of the application. Most applications are dealt with within 20 business days.

Application fee

For information regarding application fees please see Schedule of fees and charges.

Lodging the application

The completed and signed application must be accompanied by:

  • required information
  • the fee
    • this can be paid by credit card (details on application form)
    • by cheque or money order made payable to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
    • cash payments can only be made when lodging in person.

This can be mailed to

Resources Safety
The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Mineral House 100 Plain Street
East Perth WA 6004

Or lodge in person to Resources Safety at 1 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth WA 6004


For any enquiries please contact Support Services.

Phone: (08) 9358 8001