Applying for an explosives manufacture (MPU) licence

Explosives manufacture (MPU) licence - application form - 489 Kb

This form or template is required to apply for an explosives manufacture (MPU) licence.

When is this licence required?

The explosives manufacture (MPU) licence is a licence that covers explosives mixing vehicles as well as the drivers operating such vehicles.

There is no limit on the number of mobile processing units (MPUs) that may be included under this licence type but each vehicle must be a complying MPU.

An explosives manufacture (MPU) licence is required by a prime contractor who transports a constituent of a bulk ammonium nitrate-based explosive in an MPU on a road or a mine.

The explosives manufacture (MPU) licence is issued for five years.

A person is a prime contractor for the transport of constituent of an explosive, by road if the person undertakes to be responsible, or is responsible, for such transport.

Vehicles covered under an Explosives Manufacture (MPU) Licence isn't required to be separately licensed under the Dangerous Goods Safety (Road and Rail Transport of Non-explosives) Regulations 2007.

Who can apply?

Licences are only granted to an individual, body corporate or partnership.

Individuals must be at least 21 years of age.

Use of an accredited consultant

To develop the submission, it is recommended that those intending to apply for a licence engage a dangerous goods consultant accredited to prepare and submit explosives applications. The consultant will normally complete the application form on the applicant’s behalf, but the intended licensee must sign the application.

Applications submitted without accredited consultant endorsement may take up to three months to process and a checking fee applies. Deficient submissions will take longer to process.

Required information

The application must be signed by the intended licensee and lodged with

  • the supporting documentation, which can be the original or the original certified document (where a copy is requested this does not apply).
  • the explosives management plan

Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of applications. Most applications are dealt with within 30 business days.

For more information on explosive management plans see What is required for explosives licences?

Application fee

Only the licence fee for the first year of the licence is to be lodged with the application. Licence fees for subsequent years will be billed annually.

A checking fee:

  • does not apply if a consultant endorses the proposal as complying with the regulations.
  • applies for applications without accredited consultant endorsement.

The checking fees are equal to the licence fee payable with the application.

Go to Schedule of fees and charges for more information on licence fees.

Lodging the application

The completed and signed application form must be accompanied by:

  • required information
  • the fee
    • this can be paid by credit card (details on application form)
    • by cheque made payable to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
    • cash payments can only be made when lodging in person.

Emailed to:

Mailed to:
Dangerous Goods Licensing
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Locked Bag 100
East Perth WA 6892

Lodged in person:
303 Sevenoaks Street (entrance via Grose Avenue)
Cannington WA 6107

Contact details

For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 6251 2300

Related information

Notification of changes of details

The Chief Dangerous Goods Officer must be notified within 14 days of any material changes to the details on a licence or registration.

Reporting an incident

Explosives manufacture (MPU) licence holders have a responsibility to report incidents and accidents arising from their activities.

Other guidance

Applicable legislation