Renewing a dangerous goods driver licence

Renewing the licence

Renewal notices are sent three months prior to the licence expiry. The licence must be renewed prior to expiry. If you require a licence after a licence expires, you must apply for a new one.

Renewals must be made online through the Safety Regulation System (SRS). The renewal notice contains a verification code to use in registering for access to SRS.

For further information on submitting your application, refer to Lodging the application section.

Suspended licences

Suspended licences can be renewed but the licence card will not be issued until the suspension is lifted.

Required supporting information

The renewal for a dangerous goods driver licence must be accompanied by specific information. Before completing your application ensure you have high quality colour images of the documents listed below.

If you have recently submitted an application for a different licence type and items provided with that application are still valid, they are prepopulated by SRS for subsequent applications.  This may mean you do not have to obtain a new medical certificate or driving records etc.

The payment of fees must be by Visa or MasterCard.

Item Document details Date before lodgement date

Competency training

Statement of attainment or certificate of competency in the course TLILIC0001 Preparation to transport dangerous goods by road

Not more than 6 months

Medical certificate

Assessed against the standards in Assessing Fitness to Drive – Medical Standards for Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers 2022

Not more than 6 months

Motor driver licence (MDL)

Colour image of both sides of the MDL issued from any Australian state or Territory or New Zealand



Passport quality photo
The passport photograph must be a JPEG file

Not more than 6 months

WA driving record

National Police Certificate (NPC)

  • Note: Only NPCs obtained direct from the Police (WA, interstate, federal, or New Zealand) either online, or via Australia Post for WA NPCs are acceptable.
  • Third party provided NPCs (including Australia Post’s own National Police Check) cannot be accepted
  • Submitting an unacceptable NPC will delay the issuing of your licence and result in additional cost and inconvenience to you.

WA Certified copy of Traffic Infringements

  • Required if you have, or have not been issued with a WA MDL.
Not more than 6 months

Other WA driving record

Other notices issued, if applicable:

  • Excessive demerit points
  • Election of good behaviour
  • Grant of good behaviour
  • Breach of good behaviour
  • Disqualification, suspension or cancellation of MDL
In the last 5 years
Non-WA driving record The driving records are required from Australian States or Territories and/or New Zealand where an MDL was held within the past five years, and/or you incurred a traffic offence or conviction where an MDL was not held (refer to driving record contact details). Not more than 6 months
Proof of residency If a Western Australian MDL is not held but you reside in Western Australia, a copy of another form of residency evidence must be provided (e.g. utility bill standing in your name or similar) Recent



Failure to provide the required documentation will delay processing of applications.

The following information may assist in obtaining the required supporting information.

Driving record

Driving record contact details - list - 233 Kb

Driving record contact details for Australian States and Territories and New Zealand.

Driver training

Dangerous goods transport training providers - 140 Kb

Approved training providers.

Medical fitness

Dangerous goods and explosives licences medical certificate – application form - 86 Kb

Print out the dangerous goods and explosives licence medical certificate and take to your medical practitioner to complete. When making an appointment with your medical practitioner, inform them the medical assessment is for a dangerous goods licence.

Assessing Fitness to Drive - Medical Standards for Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers is available from Austroads.

Mutual recognition

Holders of dangerous goods driver licences issued in other States and Territories of Australia are deemed to be so licensed in Western Australia (WA). There is no requirement to apply for mutual recognition of your interstate licence even if you become a WA resident.

However, you are not prevented from applying for mutual recognition if you wish to obtain a WA licence.

This does not apply for holders of New Zealand explosives driver licences who must apply for mutual recognition of their licences.

For more information refer to: Applying for mutual recognition

Application fee

The licence fee payable covers the 5 year period of the licence.

For information regarding application and renewal fees please see Schedule of fees and charges.

Lodging the application

You must apply online via the Safety Regulation System (SRS).

If you have an existing SRS Ex account, Log on to SRS 
Enter your Ex-Account number and password and follow online instructions to complete your application

If you are a new user go to SRS new user
Register for an ex-Account number

Contact details

For any enquiries please contact Dangerous Goods Licensing:
Phone: (08) 6251 2300

Related information

Applicable legislation

The Dangerous Goods Safety (Road and Rail Transport of Non-Explosives) Regulations 2007 adopt the Australian Dangerous Goods Code (ADG) and are aligned with the associated National Model Regulations.