What is the role of approved training providers for shotfiring?

What is required from training providers?

Individuals or companies offering shotfirer training courses must:

  • be a registered training organisation (RTO) as approved by the Training Accreditation Council of Western Australia or equivalent interstate body
  • provide training that is the current  national unit of competency
  • use trainers with a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, who hold a valid shotfiring licence with a minimum of 3 years shotfiring experience
  • provide students with a Statement of Attainment that serves as training evidence for a shotfirer licence.

See the Training Accreditation Council for information on RTOs and their obligations.

Training requirements for shotfiring licences - information sheet - 52 Kb

This information sheet outlines the training requirements for obtaining or renewing a shotfiring licence in Western Australia.

Becoming an approved training provider

Important note: Training organisations seeking Training Accreditation Council (TAC) or Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) accreditation to deliver the Skills DMC RIIBLA shotfirer training package must apply directly to TAC or ASQA.

Accreditation involves an initial audit of the course to ensure it follows the Australian Quality Training Framework principles. Course providers need to demonstrate that they have the resources and ability to deliver the Resources and Infrastructure Industry Training Package units of competency for blasting (RIIBLA).

Courses need to include a suitable theoretical examination and a practical component as part of the assessment package.

Contact an approved training provider

Please refer to the document below:

Recognised shotfirer training course providers - list - 129 Kb

The following information sheet lists only those training course providers that are accredited to deliver national units of competency for blasting (RIIBLA).