Notifying details of principal employer

For updated information relating to the information on this page go to Mining and exploration notifications.

On 31 March 2022, the Work Health and Safety (WHS) laws replaced the health and safety elements of the Mines Safety and Inspection laws. For information visit

Transitional arrangements may be in place for the compliance requirements on this page.

All health and safety notifications, forms and guidance for mining and petroleum has moved to the WorkSafe website

The information below has been left for historical compliance reference purposes



Notification of Principal Employer - template - 177 Kb

This template is used for the Notification of Principal Employer.

The pro-forma includes hidden text and you will need to activate the “show hidden text” option in your word processing program.


Who is the principal employer?

The principal employer has overall control and supervision for the mining operation in Western Australia. This also applies to any exploration activities.

Refer to s. 4 of the Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994.

A principal employer can be an individual, a corporation, a partnership, or a syndicate or other association of persons.

The district inspector for the region must be notified of:

  • name and address of a new principal employer
  • change to name or address of principal employer (no later than 7 days after the change)
  • any change of identity of the principal employer and the date of the change (no later than 7 days after the change).

This helps to establish a line of communication with the mines inspectorate and ensure legislative requirements are understood and met by management.

Refer to ss. 32 and 32A of the Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994.

Duties of a principal employer

The duties of the principal employer, and any other employer as implemented by senior corporate management, are to develop, authorise, provide and maintain workplace safety and health systems to guide mine management and supervisors on how to run the mine safely.

Before operations begin at a mine, the principal employer must appoint:

  • a registered manager for the mine
    • The registered manager is responsible on a daily basis for the control and supervision of the mine and should reside close enough to the mine to provide effective daily control and supervision.
    • The principal employer has the power to issue instructions to the manager of the mine.
  • a quarry manager for open pit operations
  • an underground manager for underground operations.

The principal employer may authorise the registered manager in writing to appoint the quarry manager, underground manager, alternate manager and deputy manager positions.

For exploration, the principal employer (typically the tenement holder) must appoint an exploration manager to take control of exploration activities. Where these activities are associated with a mine, the registered manager of that mine may be appointed exploration manager.

For each exploration field operation, the tenement owner must also appoint a person who is responsible for the daily site management of activities at that site. This position may be filled by the exploration manager if that person is on site managing the exploration activities.

Required information

The completed and signed notification must be accompanied by proof of the category of principal employer (i.e. copy of mining tenement search showing ownership of lease or tenement, and a map or Certificate of Title).

Lodging the notification

The completed and signed notification of appointment can be emailed to

Or mailed to

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Mineral House, 100 Plain Street
East Perth WA 6004

Or lodged in person at

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Level 2, 1 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth

Related information

Below is the list of documents that you may find useful.

Frequently asked questions on appointments on Western Australian mines - information sheet - 350 Kb

This information sheet outlines the frequently asked questions on appointments on Western Australian mines.

Frequently asked questions on management and supervision at mining operations - information sheet - 277 Kb

This information sheet outlines the frequently asked questions on management and supervision at mining operations.


For enquiries please contact an inspector of mines
Phone: 1300 307 877