Reporting a safety and health complaint for a mining operation

For updated information relating to the information on this page go to Ask a question or make a complaint.

On 31 March 2022, the Work Health and Safety (WHS) laws replaced the health and safety elements of the Mines Safety and Inspection laws. For information visit

Transitional arrangements may be in place for the compliance requirements on this page.

All health and safety notifications, forms and guidance for mining and petroleum has moved to the WorkSafe website

The information below has been left for historical compliance reference purposes



How is a complaint made?

Contact can be made with the department by telephone or in writing. If you have a complaint and choose to telephone, you will be asked for a number of details, including if you have attempted to resolve the issue through your supervisor or manager or with an elected safety and health representative.

If you choose to enquire about issues in your workplace in writing, some basic information needs to be provided to enable the matter to be handled in an appropriate and timely manner.

What does the inspector need to know?

It is useful to provide:

  • name of the mine operator
  • specific location
  • company name of your employer
  • when the issue(s) occurred.

Sufficient information about the matter you are raising also needs to be provided to enable the inspector to establish that there is a problem and deal with it appropriately. If insufficient information is provided then the matter may not be able to be resolved to your satisfaction.

It is important to provide some contact details to enable the inspector to confirm the issues raised (if required), seek clarification and, if needed, provide feedback on the actions taken. Such details would include your name and a contact phone number (an after-hours number is often useful for off-shift contact times) or mailing address. This information is not disclosed to the employer.

What are some tips for reporting a complaint?

You can complain over the telephone or in writing. If you write, your letter or e-mail should briefly set out the details of your complaint, such as:

  • exactly what you think the issue is
  • times and dates
  • locations of issues (i.e. site, area, plant)
  • what has been done to date to resolve the matter
  • the names of people you have dealt with
  • the outcome that would be acceptable to you.

Will the complaint be confidential?

An inspector has an obligation to inquire into complaints and to take such steps as he or she considers necessary to investigate the matter. However, the name of the person who complained will not be disclosed.

This is not to say that you will remain anonymous within the workplace environment. Workplace gossip or known previous complaints made directly by you may lead others to make assumptions about the source of the complaint.

An employer is prohibited from discriminating against an employee because that person has made a complaint to them, a fellow employee, an inspector, a safety and health representative or a member of the safety and health committee.

Lodging the complaint

The report marked ‘Private and confidential’ with any supporting documentation can be emailed to

Or mailed to

Director - Mines Safety, Resources Safety
Mineral House 100 Plain Street
East Perth WA 6004

Or lodged in person Resources Safety, 1 Adelaide Terrace, East Perth WA 6004.


For enquiries please contact an inspectorate office or Mines Safety Administration
Phone: 1800SAFEMINE

To contact the relevant inspectorate office, use Regional inspectorate boundaries for mining operations.