What are certificates and certificates of competency and who needs one?

There will be transitional provisions allowing the current certificated statutory position holders to continue functioning.

For updated information relating to certificates of competency see Statutory positions

On 31 March 2022, the Work Health and Safety (WHS) laws replaced the health and safety elements of the Mines Safety and Inspection laws. For information visit www.demirs.wa.gov.au/whs

Transitional arrangements may be in place for the compliance requirements on this page.

All health and safety notifications, forms and guidance for mining and petroleum has moved to the WorkSafe website

The information below has been left for historical compliance reference purposes



What are certificates of competency?

Certificates of competency are issued for positions of responsibility at mining operations. The certification process confirms that successful applicants are suitably qualified and skilled with sufficient experience in the working environment to make appropriate critical operational decisions related to their position.

Who needs a certificate of competency?

Under the Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994 and associated regulations, people wishing to be appointed as an underground mine manager or quarry manager (or their alternates or deputies), or as an underground supervisor or winding engine driver must hold a relevant certificate of competency.

Surveyors who make or draw surveys or plans of mining operations must hold the relevant authorised mines surveyor’s certificate.

What is the process for certification?

Obtaining a certificate of competency

The applicant must pass an examination, and be assessed on qualifications, experience and character by the Board of Examiners, before a decision is made on the issue of a certificate of competency.

The application forms have more details on the requirements.

Obtaining an authorised mines surveyor’s certificate

The applicant must pass an oral examination, and be assessed on qualifications, experience and a work portfolio by the Mines Survey Board, before a decision is made on the issue of a certificate.

The application form has more details on the requirements.

Recognition of existing qualification

Find out whether a certificate or qualification from another State or Territory or New Zealand is valid in Western Australia, and how to apply.

Refer to Applying for mutual recognition for more information.