What constitutes a safety and health complaint for a mining operation?

On 31 March 2022, the Work Health and Safety (WHS) laws replaced the health and safety elements of the Mines Safety and Inspection laws. For information visit www.demirs.wa.gov.au/whs

Transitional arrangements may be in place for the compliance requirements on this page.

All health and safety notifications, forms and guidance for mining and petroleum has moved to the WorkSafe website

The information below has been left for historical compliance reference purposes



Who may make a complaint about safety and health?

A person working at a mining operation, which includes exploration sites, processing plant and designated ports, may make a complaint to an inspector if they believe there has been a breach of the Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994.

An inspector will inquire into any complaint made and take such steps as the inspector considers necessary to investigate the matter. It is the inspector’s role to establish if the employer an worker(s) concerned have met their obligations under the Act.

Refer to s. 24 of the Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994.

Other avenues for safety and health complaints

Occupational safety and health legislation is designed to ensure there is an opportunity for issues to be resolved in the workplace, and employers have obligations to attempt to resolve issues when brought to their attention.

Elected safety and health representatives may be involved in the resolution process. Other options include discussing the matter with the safety and health committee, mine manager or employer.

When a formal complaint is lodged, the mines inspector may ask what actions have already been taken to have the matter resolved in the workplace before he or she takes the issue further. They may also provide information on other ways to resolve the matter in the workplace.

Making a safety and health complaint

Refer to the pages below: